1. Thanksgiving as a national holiday began with the Pilgrims. True or False
2. The Pilgrims observed an annual Thanksgiving feast beginning in 1621. True or False
3. Abraham Lincoln was the first U. S. President to proclaim a Thanksgiving holiday. True or False
4. Who started a campaign in 1846 to make Thanksgiving a holiday celebrating harvests going back to the Pilgrims' feast?
5. Which U. S. President named the last Thursday in November as the day to celebrate Thanksgiving?
6. Which U. S. President thought the last Thursday was too close to Christmas and mandated the third Thursday in November as the day to celebrate Thanksgiving?
7. What country celebrates Thanksgiving on the second Monday in October?
8. Who said this? "Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor, and Whereas both Houses of Congress have by their Joint Committee requested me 'to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanks-giving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.'”
9. Who said this? "Let us recommit ourselves to that devotion to God and family that has played such an important role in making this a great Nation, and which will be needed as a source of strength if we are to remain a great people."
10. Who said this? "First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior."
Happy Thanksgiving from Smith Family Resources!